Skip to main content

Wines that Pair with the First Year of Parenthood

Everyone has their preferred libations, but if you're like me, wine is your game. It takes me back to Dr. Brett Horton's Wine Tasting class at James Madison University (Go Dukes!), sitting in the second floor banquet room of a downtown Harrisonburg brew-pub. Since the JMU campus is dry, we had to shift off-campus to effectively learn about wine (before you laugh, this was an actual course open only to Hospitality and Tourism Management majors). We learned to swirl, sniff, tilt the glass to check for color and opacity, swish, and had the option of spitting it out. But we were 21. Seriously, who wastes wine like that?

No me, I tell you. In the (just a few) years since sitting in that class, I've come to love wine more and more, and appreciate the importance of selecting *just* the right wine for the occasion.

Then came parenthood. And an entirely new gamut of drinking events came about, lending the opportunity to explore new wines and find perfect fits for every parenting mishap milestone. Here are a few of my favorites to share with you today:


Giving Birth

Congrats on 9 Months Sober having a baby! Or in my case, with a daughter who arrived two weeks late, we closed in on 10 months of pregnancy. But now the baby's here! You can have wine again! (That's everyone's first thought, not just mine -- right? right?)

A really good wine, like a Kendall-Jackson Stature Cabernet Sauvignon, or a bottle of bubbly to celebrate, is recommended for celebrating the birth of your young.



Up All Nighter

I like to pair an Up All Night session with some Reisling or a Moscato. It's got a little extra sugar in it to really keep me up for this nonsense my child is dishing out.

Image result for riesling and moscato wine


Teething Begins

For teething, we go with a higher alcohol content in our Red Wine friends Zinfandel (red, not white), Syrah, or if you're really in a bind, pour a glass of Sherry or Port. That's right, I said Sherry.




Neon Green Poop

When this happens, you can't unsee this color. So the wine we pair with it has to be as far from this color as possible. Queue the Roses. 


First Trick-or-Treating

Let's be honest. That first Halloween, it's all about the parents' love of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. That's where a robust Bordeaux comes in to play. The bold flavors of this red pair beautifully with the creamy chocolate and salty peanut butter. This is also a great wine to give when going to someone's Halloween party.

Image result for bordeaux wine

Stay fabulous,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce 

Raise your hand if you LOVE washing dishes? Yes? Then this recipe isn't for you. Because dinner is done in one pot. Set it and forget it while you change into something more comfortable after a long day. Ingredients: 1 lb. ground beef 1/2 onion, diced 2 c broth or water 3 c (24 ounces) pasta sauce (marinara or tomato sauce recommended) 1 lb. any pasta (I used whole wheat high protein spaghetti) 2 T Italian Seasoning 1 t Onion Powder 1 t Garlic Powder 1/2 t salt 1/4 t black pepper Instructions: Set your pot to "Saute" and cook the ground beef, breaking up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the onion to the ground beef and they will cook together. Once it is cooked through (about 4-5 min), do not drain out the fat. **If you prefer to use frozen meatballs, skip the above steps, start with the meatballs in the bottom of your pot, then go from here:  Mix in all seasoning (Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper) Layer in

Current Faves

Here are just a few things I'm currently loving this summer: All the new layouts for Shutterfly photo books . After YEARS of saying I'd get around to scrapbooking photos from last year, and the year before, and the year before, I finally caught site of one of my good friend's adorable little girls gracing the cover of one of these photo books at her home. That was it -- it was decided I would finally get around to creating my own albums. So far I have created albums for 2007, 2008, 2009, our wedding, and our honeymoon. More to come!   If you haven't previously seen pics on the blog of our pup, Flaps, you don't know what kind of cuteness you are missing. He's a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier we rescued last Fall when he was only 10 weeks old. My pup-based obsession right now -- these great, fluffy dog beds from L.L.Bean.  I haven't braved the recent Maxi Dress trend, but I picked up this black Maxi Skirt from Old Navy and have been wearing

DIY Burlap Placemats

BLOG UPDATE! These placemats are now available on my Etsy store TheSundayPaperie Customize with any words you'd like! I saw this picture on Pinterest, courtesy of the design blog, Cottage and Vine , and fell in love with the simplicity and quirkiness of these placemats. The original poster advises some basic burlap and just using a Sharpie for the lettering. A great afternoon DIY project.  I set out to make 6 to use on my kitchen table when it's fully set. Now, for what the write? Here were a few options: 6 synonyms for 'eat': eat, nourish, chow, bite, dine, devour 6 ways to say 'eat' in various languages: eat (English), φάω (Greek), comer (Spanish), manger (French), essen (German), jeść (Polish) Or I was thinking to just write out the works one through six. After a little survey of friends online, the concesus was to write it out in various languages. So here is how it went down: I wanted each placemat to be 14" x 20", so I p