Skip to main content

DIY Burlap Placemats

BLOG UPDATE! These placemats are now available on my Etsy store TheSundayPaperie

Customize with any words you'd like!


I saw this picture on Pinterest, courtesy of the design blog, Cottage and Vine, and fell in love with the simplicity and quirkiness of these placemats. The original poster advises some basic burlap and just using a Sharpie for the lettering. A great afternoon DIY project.  I set out to make 6 to use on my kitchen table when it's fully set.

Now, for what the write? Here were a few options:

6 synonyms for 'eat': eat, nourish, chow, bite, dine, devour

6 ways to say 'eat' in various languages: eat (English), φάω (Greek), comer (Spanish), manger (French), essen (German), jeść (Polish)

Or I was thinking to just write out the works one through six.

After a little survey of friends online, the concesus was to write it out in various languages. So here is how it went down:


I wanted each placemat to be 14" x 20", so I purchased 2 yards of burlap fabric at Hobby Lobby. I didn't want anything too scratchy, but something that would fray easily enough to get a little fringe as shown in the photo. I found burlap a shade lighter than the inspiration photo since I have a black table and chairs, and wanted the placemats closer to the color of the chairs' seats I recovered last fall.


Each piece of burlap was cut to the 14" x 20" dimensions, and lightly pulled one thread at a time to create a 1/2" fringe all the way around the placemats.


I didn't want the placemats to 'over-fringe', so I applied a little clear fabric glue to the underside of the placemats to support the existing fringe. I let this dry for a couple of hours.



Then I started the lettering by drawing out the letters in pencil in the lower right corner of each placemat. I started with 'eat' (English) and proceeded with the other languages I selected: φάω (Greek), comer (Spanish), manger (French), essen (German), jeść (Polish). Once all of the pencil stencils were in drawn, I used a black Sharpie marker to fill in the pencil.


I would suggest covering your work surface in newspaper or white butcher paper (which is what I used), just in case your marker goes through the fabric (since burlap is pretty porous).



Here is where we had to change gears. I was not happy with how the Sharpie was turning out, so I turned to a small bottle of black acrylic paint and a thin paintbrush to fill in the lettering. I was thrilled with how the paint went on, and continued this through all six placemats. Allow to dry (I left them overnight) and in the morning, you have placemats!


End result: I am so happy of how these turned out! I only have four on the table when I have my kitchen table round, and I put out all six when I have the leaf in (like today). Here how they turned out:
  



Comments

  1. These are so cute! Would love for you to add these to my Link Up! http://www.pluckys-secondthought.com/mission-monthly-medium-link-up-featuring-burlap-easter-wreath/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some burlap I "salvaged" from my last vacation where I rescued some trash burlap bags at an oyster factory. I have been looking for a simple how-to for placemats..

    thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic idea, just wanted to tell you that in Greek "fao" doesn't stand alone
    You should write "τρώω"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea & your tutorial, I have re-pinned it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce 

Raise your hand if you LOVE washing dishes? Yes? Then this recipe isn't for you. Because dinner is done in one pot. Set it and forget it while you change into something more comfortable after a long day. Ingredients: 1 lb. ground beef 1/2 onion, diced 2 c broth or water 3 c (24 ounces) pasta sauce (marinara or tomato sauce recommended) 1 lb. any pasta (I used whole wheat high protein spaghetti) 2 T Italian Seasoning 1 t Onion Powder 1 t Garlic Powder 1/2 t salt 1/4 t black pepper Instructions: Set your pot to "Saute" and cook the ground beef, breaking up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the onion to the ground beef and they will cook together. Once it is cooked through (about 4-5 min), do not drain out the fat. **If you prefer to use frozen meatballs, skip the above steps, start with the meatballs in the bottom of your pot, then go from here:  Mix in all seasoning (Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper) Layer in ...

Easy Guide: How to Address Envelopes for Wedding Invitations

So often I receive questions about how to address envelopes to guests with various professions and relationships. Here is a little quick reference guide I've put together for future use. To a Married Couple Mr. and Mrs. Albert Hampton A married couple with the same last name should be traditionally listed as Mr. and Mrs. followed by the male's first and last name. It is not incorrect to also list a married couple as "Mr. Albert and Mrs. Samantha Hampton". To a Married Couple That Use Different Last Names Mr. Ryan Paxton and Mrs. Marion Parker When space permits, list both members of the couple on the same line. Each should be recognized with their own salutation and last name. To an Unmarried Couple Living Together Mr. Hunter Allen and Ms. Anna Peterson List the male's name first and both names should be listed on the same line. To a Same-Sex Couple Ms. Salina Redding and Ms. Georgia Browning You can include either member of the couple'...

Kira's Baking-Inspired Bridal Shower

While I have a fabulous job professional planning events, it's even more fun when I get to personally host an event for a friend. This past fall, my dear friend, Kira, celebrated her wedding to Nat, and, of course, a Bridal Shower was on the horizon to celebrate her! (And it's her Birthday Weekend so Happy Birthday!) The other bridesmaids and I finalized our plans for her baking-inspired Bridal Shower, and here are some of the details: Make Your Own Mimosa Bar - complete with champagne, sparkling cider, sodas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, orange slices, lime slices, lemon slices, orange juice, cranberry juice, and grapefruit juice. Fool-proof instructions Guests were greeted with personalized champagne flutes. The nametags doubled as glass tags so all of the ladies could keep track of their flutes. Sweet signage. Fun buffet with lots of brunch items! Salads, finger sandwiches, fruits, and the muffins. Oh the muffins (see more below), ...