Skip to main content

How To: Euro Pillow Shams

I'm a sucker for a well-made bed. No need for 500 throw pillows, but I love the concept of layering various patterns and textures to create a complete look for your nighttime sanctuary. I started updating our Master Bedroom recently and created an Idea Board to give my vision some substance as the updating begins.

My project today was to create the three Euro Pillow Shams that will go on our King Size Bed. I haven't touched my sewing machine in at least two years and was a bit perplexed at how to even thread the bobbin. It only took one phone call to the Brother Sewing Machine Customer Service Line (very friendly and thorough service, by the way) to get my project up and running.

Here was some Pottery Barn inspiration for the Sham I wanted to sew:

I love the colors of this set, but I'm not a "butterfly" decorations kinda gal.
Another inspiration, I love the tropical floral vibe of this set.

Here is what it took to make the three Euro Pillow Shams:


- 1 Spool of Navy Blue Thread


- Sewing Machine loaded with Navy Bobbin Thread


- 27" square of Fabric each for front and back of every Sham (I used a pretty Twill Pattern on the front and Ivory Cotton Fabric on the back ($3.99/yard), since my Twill Pattered Fabric was pricey at $24.99/yard)


- Euro Pillow Insert (I found mine at Bed Bath & Beyond for $12.99 each)

What To Do:
Cut each set of front and back fabric to a 27" square. Place the right sides of the fabric together.


Pin the fabrics together on three sides, leaving one side open. In a straight stitch, sew the Sham closed on three sides, about 1/2" in from the edge of the fabric.

The open end gets sewn in two sections. Eight inches in from corner of the open side, cut a 1" slit in the two layers of fabric. This will assist in creating our finished opening for the Sham. Continue sewing the Sham on each section of 8" nearest to both corners of the Sham, leaving the middle 8" open to later stuff in the form.

Turn right side out. Lay the Sham on a flat surface with the open section facing you. Pin the open ends to create a 1/2" hem. Sew the two hems (separately) right side out to create a clean finish.


Turn the Sham right side out.


Now for the finishing touch -- With the Sham turned right side out and laying flat, sew a row another 1" in from all sides. This will create a flat trim around the pillow once the form is inserted.



Alright, it's go time! Carefully put the form into the Sham and adjust to fill the Sham evenly. Based on your preferences, you may or may not want to close the open 8" of the Sham at the bottom. I left mine open since that sits against the bed and you don't see the opening anyway, but if you want to close it, I would suggest either sewing in button openings with buttons or finding some kind of snap closure you can apply.


Here is the finished product! I'm kind of in love with the colors and pattern. It's the only area of the room with this pattern (well, so far -- a throw pillow may join the others with scrap fabric).


Next on the agenda is the SUPER easy Bedskirt (hint: It's Navy Gingham!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce 

Raise your hand if you LOVE washing dishes? Yes? Then this recipe isn't for you. Because dinner is done in one pot. Set it and forget it while you change into something more comfortable after a long day. Ingredients: 1 lb. ground beef 1/2 onion, diced 2 c broth or water 3 c (24 ounces) pasta sauce (marinara or tomato sauce recommended) 1 lb. any pasta (I used whole wheat high protein spaghetti) 2 T Italian Seasoning 1 t Onion Powder 1 t Garlic Powder 1/2 t salt 1/4 t black pepper Instructions: Set your pot to "Saute" and cook the ground beef, breaking up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the onion to the ground beef and they will cook together. Once it is cooked through (about 4-5 min), do not drain out the fat. **If you prefer to use frozen meatballs, skip the above steps, start with the meatballs in the bottom of your pot, then go from here:  Mix in all seasoning (Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper) Layer in

Current Faves

Here are just a few things I'm currently loving this summer: All the new layouts for Shutterfly photo books . After YEARS of saying I'd get around to scrapbooking photos from last year, and the year before, and the year before, I finally caught site of one of my good friend's adorable little girls gracing the cover of one of these photo books at her home. That was it -- it was decided I would finally get around to creating my own albums. So far I have created albums for 2007, 2008, 2009, our wedding, and our honeymoon. More to come!   If you haven't previously seen pics on the blog of our pup, Flaps, you don't know what kind of cuteness you are missing. He's a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier we rescued last Fall when he was only 10 weeks old. My pup-based obsession right now -- these great, fluffy dog beds from L.L.Bean.  I haven't braved the recent Maxi Dress trend, but I picked up this black Maxi Skirt from Old Navy and have been wearing

DIY Burlap Placemats

BLOG UPDATE! These placemats are now available on my Etsy store TheSundayPaperie Customize with any words you'd like! I saw this picture on Pinterest, courtesy of the design blog, Cottage and Vine , and fell in love with the simplicity and quirkiness of these placemats. The original poster advises some basic burlap and just using a Sharpie for the lettering. A great afternoon DIY project.  I set out to make 6 to use on my kitchen table when it's fully set. Now, for what the write? Here were a few options: 6 synonyms for 'eat': eat, nourish, chow, bite, dine, devour 6 ways to say 'eat' in various languages: eat (English), φάω (Greek), comer (Spanish), manger (French), essen (German), jeść (Polish) Or I was thinking to just write out the works one through six. After a little survey of friends online, the concesus was to write it out in various languages. So here is how it went down: I wanted each placemat to be 14" x 20", so I p